This page gives a full schedule for events in Makers’ Corner at Now Play This. If you have an Unlimited Ticket for Now Play This, and want to plan your weekend or book a space in a workshop, this is where to do it!
If you have a game you would like to show in Makers’ Corner, please fill in this form and we’ll get in touch with a timeslot. For non-digital games where you don’t need a screen feel free to just bring it along and see if anyone wants to play, but if you’d rather have an official timeslot that’s fine too, fill in the same form and we’ll figure something out!
Some games will be running throughout the weekend. There’ll be physical games (Drawing By Lines, Misfits, Xultur, our board game library); there’ll be digital games (TEMPRES, There Are No Girls On The Internet (localhost gallery), The Best Thing, Untitled Goose Game).
There’s also a series of scheduled events, below. There’ll be a few spaces in each available on the day, but if you want to be sure of your place in a particular workshop then book ahead!
- 12 noon: Festival opens.
- 2-3pm: Artist interviews. Jordan Erica Webber goes deeper into some of the work at the festival, talking to Dan Hett, Jane Friedhoff, Jenn Sandercock and Louis Roots about what they’ve made and why and how. No booking necessary.
- 3pm onwards: Play Master Taster by Jenn Sandercock, a game for your tastebuds and your memory. Drop in on the day, or book a particular timeslot here.
- 6-8:30pm: You Make, They Escape. Learn about room escape games and experiment with designing one with Mink Ette. Book here.
- 11am-1pm: Making Games with Wevva. Join The Metamakers Institute to make games with Wevva and find out about their work in procedural generation of game rules. Book here.
- 2-3pm:Artist interviews. Jordan Erica Webber goes deeper into some of the work at the festival, talking to Fernando Ramallo, Becca Rose and Claire Morley, and Emilie Reed about what they’ve made and why and how. No booking necessary.
- 3-4pm: The ABCs of Controllers. Join Louis Roots to experiment with making custom controllers. Chat about how a custom controller might affect the experience of playing a game, and then find out by making one. Book here.
- 4:30-5:30pm: Split-Sketch City. Join architectural studio You+Pea to find out about principles and history of ‘game-like’ architectural design projects, and work together on a hand-drawn collaborative city plan. Book here.
- 6-7pm: Panoramical Developer Commentary. Fernando Ramallo goes through an unreleased developer-commentary version of Panoramical, and talks about the game’s creation.
- 11am-1pm: Hack Your Own Boardgame. Join Matteo Menapace to reinvent old boardgames and turn them into something new. Book here.
- 2-3pm: Dreams Demo. Media Molecule will be showing off their upcoming game Dreams, and using its range of creative tools to make something new as we watch. No booking necessary.
- 3-4:30pm: Doodle Studio 95! Learn how to use this fun graphics and animation editor, made to run within Unity. Doodle an animation without leaving the Editor and turn your drawings into sprites, UI elements, particles or textures, with a single click. You must bring a laptop with Unity installed; you’ll then get a copy of Doodle Studio 95 at the workshop. (If this isn’t possible for you we have a very limited number of computers you may be able to borrow – contact Beck if this applies to you). Book here.